The museum is managed and staffed by volunteers, and is operated by Hinckley and District Museum, a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO), registered charity no. 1015922.
The museum cottages are the most complete example of half-timbered buildings remaining in Hinckley and date from the seventeenth century, being originally built as a farmhouse. They are of box-frame construction with a tie-beam roof, with brick infill panels of the late 1700s which replaced the original wattle and daub. By the nineteenth century there were three cottages, and these were bought by Colonel Clive Atkins in 1919 and restored and altered to their present appearance between 1927-8. The Hinckley and District Museum has been housed in the cottages since 1996.
In 2014/15 the museum's roof was re-thatched and other work was undertaken with a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.